Dogs are attracted to the spinning wheels and feet of the cyclist; even a friendly dog can cause you to fall and it hurts! Read on for what do to if you encounter a dog while riding and what the laws are in Tennessee related to dogs and their owners.
Tips to protect cyclists from dogs:
- Watch for and announce dogs that chase.
- Be very alert and keep both hands on the handlebars.
- Sometimes, you can ignore a dog; in other cases, try a firm, loud “NO,” “HALT,” “HEY,” or “STOP.”
- Hold your line in a group, if possible.
- If the dog doesn’t stop, spray the dog with water or pepper stray.
- Dismount your bike & put it between you and the dog.
- Wear your Road ID every time you ride.