It’s bike month! To celebrate take someone you know on a bike ride around the block or around your neighborhood to remind them of how much fun it is to ride a bike!
Here are a few activities for you to consider:
- May 7 Adopt a Hwy, 3:15 Hwy 130
- May 10 Ride to School Day
- May 17 Ride of Silence, 7 pm, Frazier McEwen
- May 19 Ride to Work Day
Of course we will have weekday rides and Saturday club rides as usual. If you would like to plan an additional event, please let Tim, Julia or Denny know and we’ll get it on the calendar.
Have a safe and happy time riding your bike!
Dogs are attracted to the spinning wheels and feet of the cyclist; even a friendly dog can cause you to fall and it hurts! Read on for what do to if you encounter a dog while riding and what the laws are in Tennessee related to dogs and their owners.
Tips to protect cyclists from dogs:
- Watch for and announce dogs that chase.
- Be very alert and keep both hands on the handlebars.
- Sometimes, you can ignore a dog; in other cases, try a firm, loud “NO,” “HALT,” “HEY,” or “STOP.”
- Hold your line in a group, if possible.
- If the dog doesn’t stop, spray the dog with water or pepper stray.
- Dismount your bike & put it between you and the dog.
- Wear your Road ID every time you ride.
Baseball has Spring Training Camp, and now, so does HRBike.
On Saturday, March 25, members of the bike club will hold a FREE class for the community to teach bike basics to cyclists of all ages and backgrounds. The camp will be held at West Middle School in Tullahoma from 9 – 11 am.
HRBike President Tim Harrison says, “We’ll conduct a very basic maintenance class (Bicycle ABC’s, how to inflate a tire, how to change a tube) as well as an on-bike skills class (how to shift gears, how to do hand signals, how to perform obstacle avoidance and how to do a quick stop).” Continue reading